As a family who eats primarily gluten free (I’m celiac, so when I make dinner for my family, we all eat a gluten free meal together that I can enjoy, as well), rice is an easy-to-make side dish that’s safe for me to eat and relatively quick to throw together on a busy weeknight. One of the things I love about rice is that it’s sort of a blank canvas; you can add as many — or as few — flavors as you like to jazz it up a bit. In our house, we prefer a fragrant basmati rice, so I got to thinking… what would a marriage of basmati and coconut taste like? You’ll have to try it for yourself, but I can assure you, it’s a great combo and the coconut turns this weeknight side into a bowl of creamy goodness! For a perfectly rounded meal, serve this rice alongside my Citrus & Honey Marinated Fish.
Creamy Coconut Rice
- 2 cups of Basmati rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- About 1/2 cup coconut cream (I used Goya brand)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- Green onions, chopped, for garnish (if desired)
- Step 1 In a saucepan, begin heating the water. Add the coconut cream, butter and salt and stir until combined. Bring to a boil.
- Step 2 Once the cooking liquid is boiling, add in the rice. Stir, cover and reduce the heat to a very low simmer.
- Step 3 It will take about 20 minutes for the rice to be tender and the liquid to evaporate.
- Step 4 Fluff with a fork and place in a serving bowl. Top with the chopped green onions. You could also add a sprinkling of sesame seeds for a little crunch.