It’s hard to believe it’s almost June! I can’t wait for the warm summer weather to finally arrive — and stay for a while! I feel like my bones need it, you know? Warmer weather calls for lighter, brighter flavors, and this dish fits the bill in every way. Naturally gluten free, low carb and vegan, it can be made ahead and kept at-the-ready in your fridge to eat all season long. And after a couple of days macerating in the fridge, it tastes even better. Serve it with breakfast or brunch; spoon it over plain Greek yogurt; use it to top slices of store-bought pound cake or angel food cake; or use it to crown a big bowl of frozen sorbet. My sister-in-law introduced me to this recipe and I was hooked; she suggested saving the juices, straining out any pulp and adding to a cool, summer cocktail. I say heck, yeah and cheers to easy summer living!
Citrus & Mint Summer Salad
- 4 blood oranges, peeled and segmented
- 4 Cara Cara oranges, peeled and segmented
- 2 pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 3 Tbsp. good quality light honey, like acacia
- Zest of one lime
- Fresh mint leaves, torn or cut into a chiffonade
- Pomegranate seeds, optional
- Step 1 Add all of the citrus segments to a bowl.
- Step 2 Add the honey and lime zest and toss gently, careful not to break the segments.
- Step 3 Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge, preferably overnight.
- Step 4 Before serving, garnish with the mint and pomegranate seeds.