I’ve never been a big breakfast person. Most of the time, coffee and a few handfuls of gluten free granola or a cup of yogurt drizzled with honey does the trick. I do, however, like a nice thick shake loaded with good stuff to get my day started off on the right foot. I created this shake recipe to be a filling, yet light, way to ease into the morning. I make the oatmeal the night before and let it sit in the fridge, softening and soaking up the almond milk and cinnamon. Prepping the oatmeal the night before not only eliminates the need to cook the oats on the stove, but it also speeds up the process in the morning, making for a quick, but satisfying, breakfast!
- I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but you can use any milk that you prefer. There are so many delicious milks on the market now, from oat milk to nut milks. Just be careful with the oat milk if you’re celiac like me; some may not be made with gluten free oats.
- I like to add a scoop of protein or nutrient-rich powder whenever I can, which boosts the nutritional value of the shake. I used the doTerra Vanilla TrimShake, but feel free to use any gluten free protein powder that you like!
- Feel free to swap the banana for berries if you prefer; frozen fruit is also a goody to go and gives the shake a rich, ice cream-like consistency
- Use a high-power blender to make the shake if possible; I just love my Ninja Professional blender, which I snagged at Costco for a great price!
Gluten Free Banana-Oatmeal Breakfast Shake
- 1 cup of gluten free rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 large banana
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax meal
- Additional 8-ounces vanilla almond milk
- Ice to blend
- Step 1 In a bowl, combine the oats, almond milk and cinnamon. Stir to combine, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Step 2 In a blender (I have the Ninja and I love it), add about half of the overnight oats (give it a stir before adding it to the blender. Serve the rest for another time.), banana, flax meal, almond milk and a handful of ice.
- Step 3 Blend on medium-low power, then switch to high power for a few seconds or until all of the ice is crushed and the mixture if velvety smooth.
- Step 4 Pour into a glass and drink immediately.