Waste not, want not. These days, more than ever, respecting the food we have in our pantries and refrigerators and using every last bit of it, has become a personal mantra, much like the strong recommendation to wear a face mask in public and keep your social distance. My grandparents and great grandparents saved everything and always found a way to use up those last little bits of meat, cheese, tomato sauce and greens.
For this simple bruschetta, the ingredients are so simple, it’s impossible not to put this recipe on weekly repeat! I pulled it together with small amounts of food I had leftover from previous meals — even the garlic bread was leftover! Here’s what I had on hand…
- 4-5 thick slices of gluten free artisan bread that I had drizzled with rosemary-garlic infused oil a few night before
- 1/2 of a bag of fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4-5 leftover, cooked shrimp
- A handful of grape tomatoes
A note about the bread:
I used Promise Gluten Free artisan bread, which has become very hard to find. It’s imported from Ireland. I had a few loaves in my freezer that I wanted to use. However, any bread that you like will work (including non-gluten free)!
Inspired by an appetizer that we used to order quite often from a local Italian place, I sautéed the topping for the bruschetta and while my beef was cooking on the barbecue, I charred the leftover bread until it was nice and hot. It’s the perfect appetizer for any occasion, any time of year! You can omit the shrimp, or in our case, add lots more of it next time around. We like the creaminess of cannellini beans, but you can use any type that you have on hand.
Gluten Free Spinach, Bean & Shrimp Bruschetta
- 4-5 slices of bread, sliced on the thick side so it holds the topping well (rub an infused garlic-herb oil into the bread on both sides)
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- Cooked shrimp, as many as you have on hand or desire to add, chopped into small pieces
- Good handful of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Couple good handfuls of fresh baby spinach leaves
- Splash of chicken broth and/or lemon juice
- Salt, pepper, red pepper
- Olive oil for sautéing
- Step 1 In a large skillet, begin by sautéing the garlic cloves in olive oil over low-medium heat.
- Step 2 Add the tomatoes and cook until they begin to soften, gently smashing them with your wooden spoon.
- Step 3 Add a splash of chicken broth so the tomato juices don’t burn on the bottom of the skillet.
- Step 4 Add the shrimp and beans
- Step 5 season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Step 6 Finish by adding the spinach leaves and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, stirring until the spinach is just wilted but not soggy.
- Step 7 Adjust seasonings if desired.
- Step 8 Grill the bread slices on both sides until charred and hot.
- Step 9 Spoon the topping on each slice of bread.