Taco Tuesday. Cinco de Mayo. Or all summer long while hanging on the patio or deck! This cocktail is easy and delicious, and when you use tequila that is made from 100% agave, it’s safe for those of us with celiac disease. Whipped up in a blender, it’s a crowd-pleaser, too!
A variety of fruit will work in this recipe. I used frozen strawberries, but pineapple or mango or a combination of both would be absolutely delicious. If you prefer to use fresh fruit instead of frozen, just be sure to add a handful of ice to the blender, which gives it more of a slushy texture, and of course, clean your berries well and remove the stems. For this recipe, I’ve added fresh mint from my garden, but basil would also be yummy and lends a slight licorice flavor, which pairs really well with the sweetness of the strawberries.
I am definitely not a tequila aficionado, but I do prefer a white, or silver, tequila. The amber-colored tequila has been aged longer. I used Patron for this cocktail.
To serve, I like to rub a lime with the cut side around the rim of the glass, then dip the rim of the the glass in sugar. I’m not a fan of salt on my glass, but if salt is your preference, go for it! You can garnish with a lime wedge or a fresh strawberry.
A little bit on the jigger… the larger side of a standard jigger is usually 2 ounces. the smaller side is about 1 ounce, so it’s a 2:1 ratio.
Frozen Strawberry-Mint Margarita
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen strawberries
- Juice of 6-7 limes, about 1/2 cup
- 2 jiggers (about 4 ounces) of 100% agave tequila silver (also referred to as tequila blanco)
- 2 jiggers (about 2 ounces) of Cointreau or any orange liqueur
- 2 Tbsp. of agave nectar or syrup
- A few mint leaves (or to taste)
- Sugar for rimming glass
- Lime for serving
- Step 1 Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Step 2 Pulse until the frozen fruit is pulverized and smooth and everything is combined well.
- Step 3 To serve, pour into margarita glasses that have been rimmed with sugar and lime. Garnish with a lime wedge, if desired.
- Step 4 Optional: you can also add a tequila floater on top if you desire a stronger cocktail.