During this period of quarantine/shelter-in-place, I’ve had more time than usual (as many of us have) to organize the contents of my cabinets and refrigerator (hint, hint: all of those expired spices in the far back of the pantry and half eaten jars of pickles in the fridge!) and give thought to the various ways to use up the bits and pieces of food and drink we have on hand. It’s actually therapeutic for me. I’m all in on the notion of clearing out and making way for new. And a little more organization in the process is never a bad thing.
Some of the tastiest creations have been born of this time spent at home, including the time to experiment with fun, summery cocktails. With an Instacart delivery containing a big bag of gorgeous navel oranges (I really only needed one for a recipe, but had to buy a 4-pound bag) and a mason jar full of a “whipped” vanilla vodka my dad gave me to try (Pinnacle brand), I knew the combination of these ingredients would result in something tasty. As kids, we all enjoyed creamsicle pops during the summer, so this is my adult version of a creamsicle in cocktail form!
~ If you are dairy free, you can replace the half & half with coconut milk or almond milk, or any non-dairy milk of your choice. However, I would suggest using an unsweetened, unflavored milk. Coconut water might also work, but it won’t be creamy and white in color like a creamsicle pop is.
~ I found information online that Pinnacle vodka and their flavorings are gluten free. Their vodka is also distilled five times, so although derived from wheat, the distillation process typically removes all of the gluten. If you are concerned, you can use a certified gluten free vodka like Tito’s and add a teaspoon or two of pure vanilla extract to the recipe.
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 3 large navel oranges)
- 6 ounces vanilla vodka (I used Pinnacle Whipped Vodka)
- 2 ounces of Cointreau or other orange flavored liqueur
- 4 ounces of half and half (you can use coconut milk to keep this dairy free)
- Step 1 To make this a frozen cocktail, combine all ingredients in a blender with a handful of ice and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Step 2 If using a shaker, combine all ingredients in the shaker with ice, shake really well, then pour through strainer.
- Step 3 Serve in a martini glass and garnish with an orange slice.