Wow, this hot cocoa really hits the spot! It’s silky, smooth and rich… and you will never be able to tell that it’s not full of artificial sweeteners or chemicals. It’s just the right amount of cocoa, the perfect amount of sweetness and a slight undertone of coffee. It’s easy to make a large batch of this and serve it to friends and family in front of the fire (or outdoor fire pit, these days — ugh, Covid). Or, make a batch for yourself to enjoy by allowing it to fully cool, then storing it in a glass bottle in the refrigerator. Just pour out what you’d like and warm it slowly on the stove.
- I used a combination of coconut milk and almond milk, but you can use any dairy free milk that you prefer. If dairy isn’t an issue or you prefer to drink regular cow’s milk, feel free to use anything you like!
- Add a drop of peppermint essential oil for a festive, minty twist. I like the high-quality, food-grade oils from doTerra.
- Optional, top with your favorite whipped cream, coconut whipped cream or marshmallows!
Mocha Hot Chocolate
- 1/2 cup full fat, canned coconut milk (I like Goya brand)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, plain almond milk
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. espresso powder or instant espresso
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of pink sea salt
- Step 1 Combine all ingredients in a small pot.
- Step 2 Over a low flame, whisk until smooth and well combined.
- Step 3 Serve hot immediately or allow to cool before storing in the refrigerator.