I’ve never really been a huge fan of breakfast, unless of course, I’m at a fancy resort and they’re serving a gourmet spread each morning. In that case, serve me up a big omelette with all the fixings! But at home, most days, I’m a coffee and yogurt kind of girl. From time to time, I’ll change it up and have a gluten free waffle spread with almond butter or gluten free toast with a little jam (Canyon Bakehouse is my favorite gluten free bread, by the way). In an effort to up my breakfast game (after all, it’s the most important meal of the day), I began experimenting with smoothie recipes. I think this one is perfect! It’s not only healthful, but also fills me up. Here are the health benefits for a few of the key ingredients I’ve added in this recipe. If you are able to, I suggest using organic fruit whenever possible. And be sure to scroll down to the end of the recipe to see y make-ahead tips for making your smoothie on even the busiest of mornings!
Banana: Great source of potassium
Avocado: Healthy fat and anti-inflammatory
Dates: Full of key nutrients like fiber and potassium; they are also very sweet, so they add a sweetness to the smoothie that is healthier than cane sugar or artificial sweeteners
Golden Flaxseed: Naturally gluten free, the list of health benefits for flax is endless, including anti-inflammatory, improved immune system, lowering cholesterol and much more
Blueberries: One of the most powerful antioxidants
Good Morning Breakfast Smoothie
- 1 large organic banana
- Handful of organic blueberries
- Half of a small, ripe avocado
- 1 Tbsp. ground golden flaxseed
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 pitted dates, chopped
- About 8-9 ounces of unsweetened vanilla almondmilk (I prefer Mooala brand)
- Handful of crushed ice
- Step 1 In the bottom of your blender cup/bowl, add the peeled banana and avocado flesh.
- Step 2 Next, add the blueberries (rinsed).
- Step 3 Add the flaxseed, cinnamon and chopped dates.
- Step 4 Pour in the almondmilk.
- Step 5 Begin pulsing to incorporate the ingredients into the milk. When the mixture looks well incorporated, add the crushed ice and blend for another minute or so, just to ensure that the dates and all of the fruit/flax and ice is well blended and smooth.
- Step 6 Pour into a glass and enjoy right away.
Make ahead tips for smooth mornings!
- Rinse blueberries and have them ready in the fridge
- Portion out the flaxseed and cinnamon and keep in a small bowl or small plastic ziptop bag
- Chop dates and keep them in a ziptop bag to stay fresh; if you buy them already chopped, measure out about 1 Tbsp. worth, which is roughly the equivalent of two whole pitted dates
- Banana and avocado will turn brown, so add these when you are ready to make your smoothie