Can you believe it’s already May and Mother’s Day is this Sunday? Where has the time gone? Whether you are hosting a gathering or bringing a dessert to someone else’s home this weekend, my recipe for this light, creamy, lemon-infused tiramisu is the perfect dessert to serve this Mother’s Day or for any special event this spring and summer! Tiramisu calls for ladyfinger, or savoiardi, biscuits, which are a dry, Italian sponge cookie. Traditionally, they are soaked in strong coffee or espresso, but my spin on this classic Italian dessert features lots of bright lemon flavor from the juice, zest and some limoncello liqueur, making it ideal for warm-weather gatherings. Make it the day before, cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge until right before you’re ready to serve it. Couldn’t be easier! In fact, the longer it sits in the fridge, the more the ladyfingers absorb all of the limoncello and luscious mascarpone cream!
I always like to provide my thoughts, tips and ideas for both making and serving my recipes! Here are my tips for this dreamy dessert!
- I like to use the Schar brand of gluten free ladyfingers for this recipe; they are a large size and hold up really well to the cream (if you are not gluten free, I recommend not using the soft ladyfingers, as they don’t hold up as well and get very mushy)
- Making it the day before and keeping it refrigerated allows the biscuits to soften slightly and become one with the luscious cream!
- I made this one in a glass trifle bowl, but you can also make it in a square or rectangular baking dish (you need something with sides to hold everything in and give it structure)
- Before serving, you can zest additional lemon on top of the cream layer, or even scatter some sliced almonds on top for a little crunch
- Scoop out each portion if using a trifle bowl, or if using a square or rectangular dish, use a spatula to achieve more perfect “slices.”
Gluten Free Limoncello Tiramisu
- 1 16-ounce container mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 jar Dickinsons lemon curd
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of a large lemon
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup limoncello liqueur
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 packages Schar gluten free ladyfingers
- Step 1 In a large bowl, combine the mascarpone, lemon curd, sugar, and lemon zest. With a handheld mixer, beat until smooth and creamy.
- Step 2 In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until medium peaks form (not too stiff)
- Step 3 Gradually fold the heavy cream into the mascarpone mixture, doing so gently so the peaks don’t deflate. Be sure the cream is folded in well.
- Step 4 In a shallow bowl, combine the limoncello, lemon juice and 1/4 cup water. Begin adding the ladyfingers to the bowl, turning them over so each side gets wet with the liquid. Do this quickly so the cookies don’t get too mushy.
- Step 5 Arrange the biscuits in an even layer in the bottom of your dish or trifle bowl, then cover with some of the mascarpone cream. Add another layer of the biscuits, then more cream. Continue layering until you end up with a layer of the cream on top. Smooth the top with a spatula. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight.